Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2004 Volvo 5.0 GXI-E. Boat was running fine but I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Volvo 5.0 GXI-E. Boat was running fine but I decided to take the fuel pump assembly off and clean the "non- seviceable" pumps. Well I got everything cleaned and buttoned back up and its not idling or taking off right. The idle is a constant womp womp womp dropping and rising 100 rpms. When I go to give it throttle it cuts out. If I work the throttle I can get the rpms up enough to get on plane and once on plane it has no problem throttling through from 2000-5000 rpms. Low speed pump has started to wine. High speed pump is running hot. Pressure gauge shows the low side at 18psi and the high side at the fuel rail 40psi while on the muffs. If I disconnect either pumps electrical connection the motor shuts off. I'm lost as to what to do next.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is***** noticed this question has been sitting overnight, was this something you still needed help with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I went ahead and took the boat to a mechanic this morning and I have a fuel pump that is working but is about to kick the dust
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Sorry somebody didn't get to you sooner. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I was at the end of my rope grasping for a do it yourself solution
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The pumps really are not designed to be serviceable. When low pressure pressure is found the first thing is to run a vacuum test on the inlet side of the pump to see if there is some kind of blockage or restriction in the boats fuel system and plumbing. (bad anti siphon valves are a common issue). But if vacuum looks good, and there is no blockage showing, then the correct action would be to replace the entire fuel cell assembly.