Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2000 wellcraft 160 fisherman. Can't get fuel to

Customer Question

I have a 2000 wellcraft 160 fisherman. Can't get fuel to prime or when I do cant keep it. Checked fuel pick-up tube, rebuilt fuel pump, new primer ball, etc. just cant get it to prime, even used a vacuum tank.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Which engine do you have in the boat? And when you say you can't get a fuel to prime, what exactly are you trying to do? Have you tried running the ring off of another fuel supply, like a portable tank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have a 70 hp Johnson. Works great off of a aux tank. Issue scenario, separator to tank, will not prime Pulled pick up, pick up is a 22" flexible line, no check valve, but does have a ball type shut off valve. Pick up is believed to be issue, as tubing is hardened with what I believe to be age. I have try to pull fuel to separator through primer valve.. Sometimes get fuel other times not so. Would like to know if I have components correct. Pickup, ball valve, fuel line, primer valve (squeeze) water separator. Re built fuel pump because of age,(15 y/o) But when buying boat, no issue was seen, (full tank) Also, have disconnected VOR as a personal preference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oop's Name is***** mechanic, kind of feel stupid asking. First time boat . Have you ever seen issues with pinched lines from tank to pimer valve, through hull?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Good morning John. A lot of times what the culprit is, is an air leak where air is drawn in through a leak instead of fuel being drawn up the tube. Shutoff valves are a very common item to cause air leaks. The seals inside of them fail. Start by removing that shut off valve and then making sure the threads of each fitting are sealed with either aviation sealer or a pipe dope. (do not use Teflon tape) and let me know what happens.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet. Did you still need help with this issue? The website has already charged you, but they have not credited me yet for helping you out. So I wanted to make sure I got all your questions on the issue answered for you.

Thanks,
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello, just checking in, any progress?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet. I wanted to make sure I got all your questions on this issue answered. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,
Jason