Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1984 75th anniversary evinrude 150, the last time

Customer Question

I have a 1984 75th anniversary evinrude 150, the last time out it would run good for a little while then would just die out going across lke.we could pump the bulb and it would finally start,but not for long.when we finally decided to go in,I had sit in back and pump bulb all the way to dock.never had enough power to plane out.the original fuel filter under engine cover broke replaced it w/ 5/16" in line filter as well as adding in line filters to both fuel tanks.i have blown fuel lines out back into tanks.tonight I checked all fuel lines & clamps for tightness,pump bulb until firm turn on water to keep engine cool,start eng.runs for 20/30 seconds starts making chirping sound,burbs water out of exhaust,&dies.when I restart does same thing again,so I started pumping bulb,no chirping as long as bulb is firm,then chirps & eventually dies as bulb gets soft ?any suggestions
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If the engine will only run when pumping the bulb what that means is either the fuel pump is bad, or there is something else keeping the fuel pump from working correctly.

The fuel pumps do run on crankcase pulses, if the cylinder that operates the pump has low compression the pump will not operate correctly. So you want to start by checking compression first. If that looks good, make sure the fuel lines between the tank and pump are all tight, with no leaks or holes in them. There is also a pulser line between the pump and the engine block. Make sure that line is tight, and has no holes in in it. If that all looks good, then I would go ahead and replace the pump.

Does that all make sense to you? If yes, did you have any further questions on this issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It looks like you read my reply and logged off.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.
Thank you
Jason