Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

L have a 1987 Formula Ls223. 454 magnum engine, alpha one

Customer Question

Hi, l have a 1987 Formula Ls223. 454 magnum engine, alpha one outdrive. My boat will not shift to forward gear but will go into reverse. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My boat was in storage for 9 months. Difficulty starting from starter problem. Boat yard employee tried starting and vigorously worked shifter lever at cockpit. Boat did start. Shifted ok into forward twice. Then third time no thump upon forward engagement. Will however shift into reverse ok.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

At the shift bracket shift control in to forward gear are the shift bracket cables moving pushing the bottom cable all the way in towards the transom?

Disconnect the shift cable coming up from the drive on the shift bracket. Now manually shift the drive have a friend turn the prop counter clockwise as you push in on the cable. Does the drive lock in to forward gear? Does cable slide freely or is it real hard?

If no you have a shift cable issue or a drive issue. Check the gear lube in the drive.

If the drive shifts at the cable and doesn't when connected to the bracket. The cable is bad or you have a drive issue.

This is the shift cable bottom you need to remove from the shift bracket.

http://www.midwestconnection.org/images/misc/boat/cable1lg.jpg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will visit boat this weekend and follow your steps and report back soon. Thanks so far Tan.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Your welcome. Keep me posted.