Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

I have twin cummins diesels. My starboard key gave me

Customer Question

I have twin cummins diesels. My starboard key gave me problems and I could not get it to turn without difficulty. I finally got it started and took the boat out. Anchored for a while and went to restart. Key turns to on but when I press the start button my gauges dip and nothing happens. Batteries are reading full charge.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is Mike,

this could be as simple as a loose battery cable connection... If a ground or positive cable has a loose or corroded connection, it will not pass the amps required to run the starter motor.

Check the terminal connections at the batteries, back of battery switches, the ground on the engine block, and the Positive where it connects to the starter.. All connections must be tight. If you have wing nuts on your battery terminals, carefully tighten them wit ha wrench or pliers as tightening them by hand is not sufficient.

Try checking these things first and get back to me with your finding s and we'll take it from there.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi, do you still need help with your Cummins electrical issue?
Did you find my information to be helpful?