Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1996 60 hp outboard. i removed the lower unit to

Customer Question

i have a 1996 johnson 60 hp outboard. i removed the lower unit to inspect impeller, greased it and put in new seals. i cant get the shift rod to reconnect with the pin. the r pin is removed and the L shaped shifter rod moves freely towards the engine but will not pull out far enough to place r pin back in.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 years ago.

Is it possible you screwed the rod in a few turns? Sometimes they need to be backed off a few turns from tight to meet the shift arm properly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been playing with the shift rod length in attempts to reconnect with no luck. Question1 ...which way should the curve on the top of the shift rod face. Question 2...should the shift rod release be pushed in toward the motor when attempting to reinstall.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 years ago.

The curve goes toward the front of the motor. You may have to move the release in and out to get the rod to catch. It may also be helpful to remove the shift cable to allow the bellcrank to move more easily.