Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Jeremy, I asked you a question early this month about my

Customer Question

Jeremy, I asked you a question early this month about my XR1800 Yamaha, your advice was very helpful. I have a few more questions for you. 1. When I anchor out and play my radio off of a 600 watt amp supply that runs off the battery, it seems to die. What
is the best solution, add another battery in parralell or get a larger battery? 2. I sucked a 3/8 tow rope up threw the intake into the impeller. I ran for about a 1/4 mile before the motor started to sound very rough so I turned it off and just ran the starboard
motor. Do you think I did any damage? and if not what is the best way to go about removing the rope. 3. Also, is there an adjustment for the linkage on the throttles to make the rpms match. Thanks.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.
I want to make sure I understand. You have a stereo system that is being driven by a 600 watt amp? If that is correct, you are definitely going to need at least one more battery and depending on how long you want to run the stereo, you may even need a 3rd.

Another alternative is to use a deep cycle battery just to run the stereo. If I have calculated and interpreted what you told me correctly, the largest deep cycle battery that Interstate makes would power your stereo for about 3 hrs. That particular battery weighs 117 pounds and has a suggested retail price of $240.

Let me know if you have any more questions or if I am misunderstanding what you are asking.

Thanks,

RSRBOB

Sorry, I forgot to address the ski rope in the jet pump. This is not usually an easy fix. It is usually a battle between cutting away at the rope and unwrapping it from the prop shaft. Typically it wraps so tightly around the shaft even after you cut through it, you have to force a screw driver in between the coils to loosen them up and get the rope off the shaft. It also usually helps if you remove the intake grate to give you greater access as well.