Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have an 87 Bayline Capri 22' with a 5.8l OMC. Was in the

Customer Question
lake the other day doing...
I have an 87 Bayline Capri 22' with a 5.8l OMC. Was in the lake the other day doing about 15-20 MPH when I hit something with the outdrive and started taking water. Steering was difficult immediatly following the hit. When I pulled the boat from the lake, water was gushing out from the seal where the outdrive connects to the boat. Any ideas what it is and approx repair cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2015
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
I hate to say it but unfortunately with how bad this is that you explained this usually indicates the wood in your transom was/is rotted and the hit ripped the drive/leg housing from the transom and thus the large leak, esp when it has effected your steering. Common problems would be a hoses torn/damaged thus allowing water in (and a lot of it) however these would usually not come from hitting something and would not effect steering unless the drive also damaged, now comes to where my answer is what I stated and that is because of where you stated the leak is coming from which is your gimble housing, in order for this to leak would require it to separate from your transom, in order for that to happen the bolts would need to come loose, for that to happen is rare esp all of them and usually not going to be at once, it'd normally start and you would have a small leak or if very well sealed the sealant finally breaking. So what you have is either a drive that came loose from the transom and needs to be fully removed, cleaned and reseal the gimble housing/drive to the transom or the unfortunate which is a rotted transom which again is common on older boats esp boats like a bayliner. (and please don't take that the wrong way, I am just explaining, certain boats are built cheaper than others which unfortunately allows more problems faster than on better types).
An easy check is using a finger or screwdriver try scraping some of the wood, if dry and good nothing will happen, if rotted it will be like dust or pulp and fall apart, you can dig it like you would mud per say. It will/may be hard to get to but the best area is in between the inside and outside transom layers. You can also drill a hole and take a core sample.
If the transom is rotted your looking at most likely over $4000.00 as the engine and drive will need to be removed, possibly much more as in most cases the stringers are also rotted as well as the floor and other problems, at min the drive would need to be removed and reinstalled as it simply could not just be tightened back up (this is if it just came loose which is not very likely at all, I am including this info though as it could happen and thus want to provide all info), so even removing the drive and remounting it your still (if paying a shop) looking at, at least say around $1500+ (possibly less) just as a rough est.
Think wisely as most of these will exceed the value of the boat and or you can replace it cheaper, just info to keep in mind.
I am truly sorry for the bad news.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Joe
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic