Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1993 115 Hp Evinrude, I took it out of storage today, it

Customer Question

1993 115 Hp Evinrude, I took it out of storage today, it turns over and catches quickly but will only run for a few seconds
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

How old is the gas in the boat? On your shifter, does it allow for you to rev the engine up in neutral a bit?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The gas would have been put in last year and yes there is a cold start- high rev lever which I am using and it does run at a very high rpm but just for 2 seconds or less
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Did you pump the bulb up before starting it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pump the bulb and also use the primer which is with the ignition/key switch
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

The old gas by itself would definitely do it. Do you have another tank, like a portable tank, you can run the engine off of?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't have a portable tank could go get some fresh gas and an additive though
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

How much gas do you have in the boats tank right now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The gauge says about 1/8 and that seems about right cause when I tap on the tank there does not seem to be much in it..I have a gas can perhaps I should go get 25 liters (5 US gallons) of fresh gas...is there an additive you recommend as well?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

You really need to run the engine off of another fuel supply, not on the stuff in the tank. If there is water in the tank adding gas to it isn't going to fix anything. All that means is instead of pumping out 1/8th of a tank you would have to pump out whatever you put in. See if you can get another tank and run the engine off of that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good point..can I put the gas line tats on the boat into a gerry can of gas...pump up the bulb..in that way I wont have to look for an ouboard motor tank on a holiday weekend Sunday
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you can do it that way. That will work as well. Let me know what happens after you try the fresh gas. Keep in mind it mike take a few attemmpts to get it going if there is still old gas in the carbs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks...I will try that..is there a way to get back directly with you later today or tomorrow after I try this..in order to pick the conversation where we left it?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Just reply right back here and we can continue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried fresh gas drawing it straight from a Gerry can....pump up the bulb.. Probably tried it 10 times...same thing...it catches quickly..runs for 2 seconds and then quits...what should I try next?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Did you drain the carbs. Then pump fresh fuel into the carbs and run the engine?
If not you are still running on the old fuel.
Disconnect the black/yellow wire from the power pack# ***** Does engine run now?
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1993/J115TLETS/IGNITION%20SYSTEM/parts.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK....I will drain the carbs and I will need more detail on where I will find the wires you are talking about
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Ok just locate the black box that connects to the ignition coils. # ***** in the link is the power pack. Then locate the black wire with the yellow stripe disconnect it. Now start the engine. Does it continue to run? The pack will be on the top rear of the engine. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1993/J115TLETS/IGNITION%20SYSTEM/parts.html

Post back with findings.