Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Mercruicer engine from 1987 330 hp 7.4 MME. Well I

Customer Question

hi
I have a Mercruicer engine from 1987 330 hp 7.4 MME. Well I start the engine it runs fine in all revolutions, but as soon as you put it in gear then begins to get the fire out of the carburetor - (setback) and you can not kick it so it dies just, I'm about to change it old. pump with a new one. In one advice how to re mount it?
thanks in advance.
Regards ***** *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hi Lars, my name is***** it is firing out of the carb as soon as you shift it that would not be a fuel pump issue.

How old is the gasoline? When was the last time it had a tune up? Has a compression test been done on the engine yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jason
I took a crack at the bottom of the vacuum pump in the inlet side, but how should I put petrol pump on again? it runs extremely well at idle you can hardly hear the engine running (it has run 870 hours.) I think that it has a fine compression because your going almost on 0 when you force it down to idle.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is Kerry

When you remove the old fuel pump, the rod that pushes on the fuel pump lever falls down.

It won't let you re-install the fuel pump until you lift it up.

The rod will be oily and therefore slippery, I wipe it with a rag and then I can push the rod up with my finger.

You need to quickly get the pump lever under the rod because it will fall back down.

Does this help?

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.

I use a small screwdriver to hold the rod up while I get pump and gasket ready to slip into place.