Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I got a 1986 230 hp 5.0 gm motor runs great but after about

Customer Question

I got a 1986 230 hp 5.0 gm motor runs great but after about 1 hr of running engine stall and want run starter still turn engine over what is the problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This could be only a couple of things. You have lost spark or the engine is running out of fuel. Check for voltage at the ignition coil positive terminal key/ignition switch in on position. This test will only work when the engine is starting.

The other check is remove the flame arrestor from the top of the carburetor and have a friend pump the throttle do you see fuel squirting down the carb? This check also has to be done when engine is acting up.

Post back with findings.