Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan: , I'm Tan. Thanks to JustAnswer. What's your

Customer Question

Tan: Hi, I'm Tan. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. What's your name? And what is your issue regarding? Customer: looking for an expert in borg warner velvet drive transmissions Tan: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue? Customer: it is a borg warner velvet drive 71C. how many of these transmissions have you rebuilt? Tan: OK got it. Last thing -- Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). But there are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit? Customer: yes i have time. but i really want an expert that has experience with this particular transmission. Tan: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. What can I do for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. i just paid to chat with you a few minutes ago but somehow got lost in your system. I have a borg warner velvet drive 71C 1.88:1 transmission that was recently rebuilt here in Mexico . it worked fine in forward and reverse but after about an hour of use forward stopped working. It still works well in reverse but in forward there is significant slippage (the prop turns very slowly). Also, when i put it in reverse I hear the normal 'clunk' when it locks in gear. I don't hear that when i put it in forward. I checked the linkage and it does the same thing when i shift it manually without the cable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
any thoughts?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
The clutch pack is bad. This is the only thing that will cause slippage. Do you know that they replaced the clutch pack? This is the clutch pack both forward and reverse. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/ALT23750D/ALL3G
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the mechanic said everything was in good condition with practically no wear. it was rebuilt because the output shaft splines stripped. is is possible that the clutch pack was assembled incorrectly? i dont have much confidence in this mechanic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also, can i tell from looking at the clutch discs that they are bad? are there specs on them? this time i will be there when it is disassembled.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
What happens is the clutch pack has a certain wear pattern. So when the reassembled the clutch pack if they didn't put the plates back together exactly the samr way the plate will wear out prematurely. So since it worked initially this tells me this is what happened. It worked good at first then the plates wear patterns not matching cause then to wear real fast and cause the slipping issue. I will never understand why would you disassemble a transmission and not replace any worn parts. I would never reassemble a transmission with used parts. This just opens your self up for problems you can't guarantee a product with used parts. Now he has to do it again for free. Or he should do it for free as it was his screw up. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, i understand. i have rebuilt many engines, but not much experience with automatic type transmissions. thanks. you have to understand that this is mexico. they just do whatever it takes to get them down the road a few miles and then fix it again.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do I lived in Mexico for a couple of years. There motto is get by. Well this is kinda where you stand. Maybe if you get the parts you can get him to do the labor for free or at a better rate. In any case the trans has to come back out. Look at the transmission fluid check the color and the smell. Post back with findings.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Post back if you need further assistance.
Thank you..........Tan
Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you...........Thank you......Tan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. thanks.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome..........Thank you.........Tan