Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Briggs, I have a 2000 Volvo 5.7 GSi (grey) with throttle

Customer Question

Hi Briggs,
I have a 2000 Volvo 5.7 GSi (grey) with throttle body and carter fuel pump pack. It did not start or run and the fuel pump would not prime or run. I replaced it with an entire new fuel pump system. It starts runs and idles. But when you rev it, even in natural, it seems to either flood or starve. Loss of power. Pull throttle back and it goes back to idle or stalls. But it fires right back up and idles. Some times the idle surges a little. When the stall occurs, I hear the pitch of the fuel pump change slightly just before the stall is evident.
Any ideas. I have heard these pumps have been a disaster for Volvo..
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I can hear a lot of air flow in the throttle body increase sound just as it is about to stall. It is like a increasing vacuum sound that when I increase the throttle a little it is not there, but after 10-30 seconds this air sound begins to build. Then the engine starts to loose power then as the noise gets louder, it continues to get worse.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Can I get the full and complete model number on the engine.Have you hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to see if fuel pressure is dropping as it stalls?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jason.It is a Volvo 2000 5.7GSi throttle body FI. The fuel pressure on the high pressure side is about 35lbs and seems to hold though this cycle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had just installed this new in box Volvo fuel pump to get it running as the original quit all together.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My name is Mark.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark. GSI is just a family of engines, do you have the actual model number? If not, do you have 1 intergrated fuel cell with the low and high pressure pumps together. Or is the low and high pressure pumps in separate spots on the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are together in one unit. I replaced the entire unit with new.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Carter mfg but purchased through Volvo
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
35 would be a little high. Are you measuring fuel pressure with the TBI fuel pressure adapter installed on the steel fuel line at the TBI unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I have two fittings on the pump unit. One on top of the high pressure pump on the steel line. and one at the bottom. I was taking that measurement at the top fitting.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
When it stalled was it showing 35?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It dropped to about 32 when I was increasing rpm. During stall no real change.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Anything above 31 psi indicates either a blockage in the return line or a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Is your gauge accurate, do you trust it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try now with another gage to double check and return results.I had mentioned a air wooshing sound in the throttle body and the fuel pump whine pitch increase just before the stall but no other time. Does that have any diagnostic value?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The air whooshing is the IAC passageway. The IAC is trying to compensate for the stall.