Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

How does a mercury 40hp fourstroke 2014 year model shift

Customer Question

how does a mercury 40hp fourstroke 2014 year model shift work. I have disassembled by shift shaft, which was bent. when i place the shaft back into the shaft container it seems to be free spinning and not making the propeller shaft engage forward or backward...
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My shift shaft was bent and when replacing it, the propeller doesn't engage. trying to figure how the shift shaft engages the propeller, the propeller and shaft removed and i don't seen how the shaft connects to the propeller shaft components
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello,my name is ***** ***** shaft has to align into part 11 in this diagram. it is the shift cam that rides in Part 28 of the second diagram. When installing the prop shaft, have some grease on the cam to hold it in place. Slide the shaft into the housing until you can see the can from the top of the shift shaft hole. Then slide the shift shaft into place and it will all work as it did before. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/40%20EFI%20%283%20CYL.%29%284-STROKE%29/1C049739%20%26%20Up/Gear%20Housing%2C%20Driveshaft%20-%202%3A1%20Gear%20Ratio/parts.html http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/40%20EFI%20%283%20CYL.%29%284-STROKE%29/1C049739%20%26%20Up/Gear%20Housing%2C%20Propeller%20Shaft%20-%202%3A1%20Gear%20Ratio/parts.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My model number is ***** and serial number 1C249355....according to the parts list the cam shift is obsolete. It looks like something should ride on the cam follower to push it back and forth to engage. While it looks logical on the diagram...why can't I order one....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've looked all morning to see what may have replaced this part..nothing yet....this is frustrating
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
This is the part that you need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercury-Mercruiser-Quicksilver-OEM-Part-842071A01-CAM-FOLLOWER-KIT-/360987934194
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..believe it or not. I looked down into the gear casing and found the cam shift lodged in the groove that looks like a key holder. Is that gear shaft suppose to be spring actuated. I tried to see how this cam fits into the follower but don't quite see it right now. It is not spring actuated if it is suppose to be but can't quite see how it shifts this follower fore and aft...
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
The shift shaft will go thru the the cam and them thru thru follower, and into a spot inside the housing. This holds the shaft true and the splines will turn the cam, which will then move the follower fore or aft depending on the gear selected. The follower and clutch are spring loaded.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks...think there be my problem...the follower is not springing either way...shifts in and out with with no pressure by hand...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The spring inside the Rod Actuator appears to be stiff solid..If this is what pushes the follower forward it is not seated all the way forward pushing the clutch forward...the clutch is just moving fore and aft with no pressure when moved by hand.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Take the spring 13 from the clutch. Be careful not to bend it out of shape. Then take out the pin 12. This will allow the rod and cam follower to come out. You have something broken in there that is not allowing the spring to act on the clutch. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/40%20EFI%20%283%20CYL.%29%284-STROKE%29/1C049739%20%26%20Up/Gear%20Housing%2C%20Propeller%20Shaft%20-%202%3A1%20Gear%20Ratio/parts.html