Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

My 2003 sea ray cuts out at 3500 rpm's. No getting hot and

Customer Question

My 2003 sea ray cuts out at 3500 rpm's. No getting hot and runs great at lower speeds.
Almost like not getting enough fuel.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also If you let off the gas a little it takes right off again and continues running fine. Is there some kind of sensor that could be bad.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Start by checking the fuel/water separator filter during the problem, this means as soon as it starts having the problem throttle down and shut her down, remove the filter and see if full, if not this means it is in fact starving for fuel, however a better test would be via a fuel pressure tester to see if during the problem you are loosing pressure such as a failing pump, this could also (depending on temp) be related to vapor lock but not as likely.
Next if fuel is good check spark via a timing light and see if over 3500 rpms you start having misfires.
Given the symptoms, this is the first place I would start checking.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.