Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2000 ski centurion sport bow rider 5.7 merc cruiser

Customer Question

I have a 2000 ski centurion sport bow rider 5.7 merc cruiser I replaced the ignition switch it starts fine when I go to put it in forward or reverse the engine stops as if I turn the switch off, normally a alarms comes on when the engine shut off that not happening now either does anyone have a idea what the problem might be?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Is it doing this on the trailer, or on the water? Do you have an Alpha series sterndrive on the boat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daryl it does it in the water it's just a straight drive
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Daryl, Is this in inboard, with a transmission?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is the engine EFI or carb?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Carb
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
What does it idle at when in neutral?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It idles fine revs up fine in neutral as well
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
No I mean what are the idle rpms according to the tach. If you are stalling when shifting the engine either as to low of an idle rpm, or it is down on power for some reason. And that is why I am asking about the idle rpms, does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what rpm is at idle, it's not stalling it's like I turn the ignition switch off
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
When you shift it do you show power to the positive post on the ignition coil?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Normally it has a alarm that makes a high pitch sound when the switch is in the on position or the motor stalls that is no longer working
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't checked not sure where it's located
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** a sterndrive or inboard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Inboard
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Is the engine carbureted or fuel injected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It won't let me resend carb
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok lets do this first. Go the the back of the transmission and see if you can turn the propeller shaft by hand. Does it turn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It turns fine
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok go to the ignition coil and connect a volt meter to the positive side of the ignition coil purple wire. Now start engine watch the volt meter and shift the engine. Do you loose voltage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not able to do that today.... Like I said above the high pitch alarm when I turn the ignition switch does not come on anymore I'm thinking it has something to do with that, I just don't know where it's located
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
We aren't interested in the horn right now as it won't have anything to do with your engine issue. That is only for oil pressure and engine temp. The horn get ignition from the key switch. Do you gauges come on when engine is running? If yes then the problem is most likely at the engine but we have to do some testing to find the problem. This is a process of elimination so we have to follow a test procedure. So let deal with one issue at a time. The horn isn't important as it has no function with an engine that won't stay running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got it all the gauges are working
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok when the engine stalls do the gauges go off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They appear to go off
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok go to the engine and with a jumper wire jump from the battery cable connection on the starter to the positive side of the ignition coil. Now start engine and check shift does it stall now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to try that tomorrow
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
That's fine I will be here just post back as you have been and we can figure this out. Thank you.....Tan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much Sir!!
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Daryl. Just post back when ready.