Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have an 1100 triple wave runner 1997 drops power when running

Customer Question

I have an 1100 triple wave runner 1997 drops power when running new plugs cleaned carbs
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your inquiry,Since you have replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the carbs and it still has a problem, we need to look elsewhere.I am also going on the assumption that it runs fine when you first start it up and loses power after running for a period of time. This is important because it can move the possibility of an ignition problem to the back burner.Having said that, we need to check the mechanical condition of the engine. We do this by performing a compression test. Right now, we really need to know that information. When you do a compression test on your engine, make sure you ground the spark plug leads to the cylinder head using old spark plugs. However, do not pull out the other 2 spark plugs out of the engine as you perform the compression test. Multi cylinder 2 stroke engines actually turn higher RPM's with the spark plugs installed vs. spark plugs removed. Beyond that, it is also how the factory set the specs for compression so for our results to be meaningful, we have to duplicate the procedure the factory used when setting the specs. Also, hold the throttle wide open while performing the compression test. Test all 3 cylinders moving the tester down the line and replacing the tester in the former cylinder with the spark plug from the next.Let me know what you get.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have compression but what it does it takes off and when your moving it will start to die and either stall or run at slow and than you can take off again but you can't it it above 25mph
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.Exactly what were the compression test results in PSI? There is a very high probability this is a mechanical issue, but the compression numbers will either confirm or deny this. We need to deal in a more concrete term than "it has compression" The question is how much and is it enough?ThanksRSRBOBPS, is it showing an over heat warning?