Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a problem with 1991 Johnson 50hp engine . Son shorted

Customer Question

I have a problem with 1991 Johnson 50hp engine . Son shorted battery charger to boat .Now when we try to start engine it keeps blowing 20 amp fuse. Any suggestions , and what is amp rating for the blocking fuse in vro circuit should it be bad ,I heard you can get them at radio shack for about $ 2.00 Thank you
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
You are thinking about the diode. Simply unplug the electrical connection from the VRO to test.Does it blow the fuse when the key is turned ON or just to START?If it blows the fuse on START then disconnect the yellow/red wire to the starter solenoid. Turn key to start does the fuse blow? If not Replace the solenoid.Post back your results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You can try to start it 3 or 4 time then it will blow fuse , just changed starter switch even though old one checked O.K. but key could be removed in on position. Started turns as normal .
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
You can start it a few times OK then it blows?Do you have a multimeter for testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't talk today I've got to go to work . Can i contact you tomorrow at say 7 a.m. cst I'm in texas .
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
I get in the shop at 9 est. But reply when you can and I'll answer as soon as possible.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi is there anything else I can help you with on this?Please don't forget to rate my service to you. Thanks