Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

OK , I have a 1995 sea doo XP 720 motor that I am rebuilding.

Customer Question

OK , I have a 1995 sea doo XP 720 motor that I am rebuilding. My Pistons are PRO-X .060 overbore. My rings are RIK piston ring set (01.5508) 1.50. My technical data calls for 1 semi-trapez Chromed and 1 rectangular for each piston. However all 4 of my RIK rings are of an inside taper type (upper side) of the ring set. There are no rectangular rings. Can I use these rings in my application ? And what advantages or disadvantages will I have by using them. I bought the piston and ring items from E-Bay. Thanks John
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Hello John,
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
For the 717 (720) seadoo engine, pro-x makes piston sets in standard, .25, .50, .75, 1.00 and 1.50mm, they do not offer an .060 over. And your piston to wall clearance is to be set at Piston to Cylinder Wall Clearance: .004~.0045.
It sounds like you may have the wrong parts and or not a matched piston kit as well.
See here for example: http://www.atlanticjetsport.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2942
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the PRO-X piston box 8046 clearly states .060 83mm on it .this is because it came from L.A. Sleeve who probably but the sticker on it. the sticker also says in very small numbers 01.5508.150. I know the the japs use the metric system. So what I have is a 83.50 MM piston and ring set. I had a machine shop bore and hone my cylinders with the pistons. The rings all fit and have a (.014 in) ring end gap.I just need to know about the Rings, thanks again John
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
John,
I see, they are the 1.50mm over. The ring set for these should be 02.5508.150, if so then that is the correct ring set to be used, yes.
Thanks,
Joe