Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1993 40hp merc outboard with trim ---the motor stops

Customer Question

I have a 1993 40hp merc outboard with trim ---the motor stops running after about 15 minutes -it does have good preasure of stream of water coming out which is warm so i ordered a fuel pump kit and when you turn on the key to start that whistle you hear then it goes away this one does not --the oil tank is full and it is pumping oil so what is wrong
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What this is going to be is a bad oil tank. The float inside the tank has become saturated and sunk to the bottom of its shaft. The only repair is to replace the oil tank.