Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Mercury Optimax with my trusted mechanic month He is

Customer Question

Mercury Optimax with my trusted mechanic for a month He is stumped. Boat worked perfectly in spring. Then kids took it out, neglected to use primer bulb and got a few hundred yards from dock and could not accelerate to get up on plane. Seems fuel starved. Even after priming bulb, same thing. Mechanic replaced pulse pump (last year installed new fuel pump) but still same problem.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
Has any one tested the fuel pressure at the rail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do not have access to engine as it is with mechsnic
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
What is the HP of the engine?How is it that I may assist you best?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is 150 hp. Just looking for thoughts as to what this might be My mechanic is stumped and we are without boat a month. Boat runs at slow speed but cannot accelerate at s. Does not stop or stall but will not accelerate at all Seems to be starved for fuel
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Ok, There are several things to test or look at. Check the fuel and air pressure when running at idle. It should be 90 PSI Fuel and 80 PSI air.Make sure that there is no water in the fuel at all. There should also not be any water or fuel on the air side rail at all. Remove the gear case and inspect the exhaust tuner. H will need to stick his hand up into the exhaust chamber and feel the tuner. The 150 had a history of coming off. This would not allow the engine to accelerate. The exhaust would be restricted. Have him check these items along with the basic compression and a spark test. Make sure that you do not have any alarms active either. That also will not allow the engine to run properly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No alarms throughout this at all. Thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
The tests that I send, none of these will sound an alarm. that is why there are harder to locate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmmm that is interestingWill be back in touch
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know.