Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Accidentally put boat in water with drain plug removed. Obviously

Customer Question

Accidentally put boat in water with drain plug removed. Obviously took on water. Put plug in turned on bilge pump. All was well. Pulled boat from water and pulled drain plug and the water that drained was dirty and had some oil in it. Could it be residue that was just rinsing out by taking on water or should I be concerned? Just spent a pretty penny on new core plug, water pump, hoses and belts as well
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
As long as the engine didn't go under water you are OK. There is quite a bit of dirt and grime that accumulates in the bilge. If the water got high enough it could cause problems with the starter but that's about it. The engine is basically sealed, if it was not then oil would be everywhere. So I would be concerned about the starter if it went under water but not too concerned about the engine itself.You can pull the oil dip stick and see if the oil is milky. If so do an oil change, run the engine for an hour, then check the oil again. Running the engine for an hour should evaporate any left over residue of water.Just a FYI there are commercial bilge cleaners or just a little water and Dawn dish soap will clean things nicely.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi is there anything else I can help you with on this?Please don't forget to rate my service to you. Thanks