Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I read your thread "engine 175hp ocean runner starter spins

Customer Question

I read your thread "engine 175hp ocean runner starter spins but does not engage" seems this is also my problem, in disassembling and removing the flywheel cover there are two rods on the SB side that form part of the electronic eye ignition. how do they come apart? I am able to see the bendix gear, it moves but appears a little gummy. Should I clean it and re-lube with OMC triple guard grease? And there is a little round spring that fell out; appears to sit on top of the bendix gear, does it go crown up or down?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I'm not able to see what you read unless you can share the link with me.
What is the model number on your engine, and what kind of issue are you having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the model is J175EXEUE Johnson Ocean Runner 1996 175HPI read your thread "engine 175hp ocean runner starter spins but does not engage" seems this is also my problem, in disassembling and removing the flywheel cover there are two rods on the SB side that form part of the electronic eye ignition. how do they come apart? I am able to see the bendix gear, it moves but appears a little gummy. Should I clean it and re-lube with OMC triple guard grease? And there is a little round spring that fell out; appears to sit on top of the bendix gear, does it go crown up or down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have to interrupt this for awhile .. at work.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
What you are trying to do is remove the starter, is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the starter has been removed and tested and is functioning properly. However, the bendix is part of the gear reduction assembly on this model. The gear reduction assembly and the flywheel are under a cover. The removal of the flywheel cover is quite a process, because the electronic eye and ignition system is mounted on top. There are two rods that are part of the ignition system on top of the flywheel cover. They are tricky to remove because the rods are fixed and extend down the starboard side of the engine and the assembly on top doesn't pop off. The assembly on top is preventing the complete removal of the flywheel cover. I can lift the flywheel cover and see that the bendix is a little gummy with dirt and grease, however, both the bendix and the reduction gear move freely. It appears the bendix should engage the flywheel. I don't see any obvious damage or wear. When I lifted the cover a small round spring fell down, it looks like a washer with a 30 degree bend in it. Should it be installed on top of the bendix crown up or crown down? Should I simply clean everything up and re-lube with OMC triple guard grease?