Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Got a mercury 40 outboard motor i have 120 psi compression

Customer Question
all four cylinders have spark...
got a mercury 40 outboard motor i have 120 psi compression all four cylinders have spark and fuel acts the the timing is off checked fly wheel key its ok any ideas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/22/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What makes you think the engine has a timing problem? What exactly is it doing?Also, can I get the serial number on the engine please.
my name is ***** ***** engine has spark compression and fuel when trying to start it will just turn over every once in a while it will kick
Hi Sandy.Have you tried any starter fluid down the carbs?Do you have a timing light to check timing?
i tried starter fluid both carb and cylinders no on timing light
Pull all the spark plugs out. Stick a screwdriver down the top plug hole. Turn the flywheel slowly by hand until you can feel the piston come up to the very top of its' stroke. When it's at the top. Is the 0 mark on the flywheel lined up with the timing tab?
Is that something you can do now?
Also, how did you check for spark exactly, there are right ways and wrong ways to do it.
0g224602 serial number timing mark is on 0 with piston up
how did you check for spark exactly, there are right ways and wrong ways to do it.
took all plugs out put plug on side of engine all four sparked
Got it. That is not the correct way to check for spark. To properly check it you need a spark tester set to 7/16ths on an inch, and the spark needs to jump that gap. Click this link below to get to a youtube video. This explains how to check for spark. Fast forward to the 3 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmNMWTDtZE
used a spark testor forgot i had and all still have good spark
any other ideas
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is ***** ***** you still need assistance with the engine?
yes i do
i have spark compression and fuel but the engine will not run
Check the fuel for water. I think that I saw where it is new, but you can still buy water at a gas station.
i sprayed starter fluid in the spark plug holes still will no trun
acts like it is firing at wrong time just poofs once in awhile
Do you have a multimeter?
yes i do what should i test?
Take out the plugs, measure the resistance from the cap to the threads. Then from the cap to the center electrode. hat do you get?
0.00
From where to where?
cap to electrode
there are new plugs
Still have the old ones?What plug do you have?
no
Was that on both plugs?Which plug do you have?
this is a four cylinder alll new plugs new gas they all fire 120 psi compression im stumped
Does the meter have a max or a hold button?
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic