Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Force 40: 1990 40hp force has no spark

Customer Question

1990 40hp force has no spark
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What is the model number on the engine? Do you have a high quality volt/ohm meter? And do you know how to take electrical resistance measurements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** do a good meter and I'll get you the model number
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good Ron. Let me get that model number and we will take it from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model # ***** 40 ELPT
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is there a number on the clamp bracket that gives a serial number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
S/n#0e3321180
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Got it.Start with these 2 tests 1. Disconnect the engines harness from the boats harness. This is the big round plug. Then jump power to the yellow/red on the starter solenoid. This will crank the engine over. Does spark return? If yes skip #2. If no...... 2. Disconnect the stator and locate the white/green and green/white wires that run to the stator. Measure the resistance between those wires. What do you get for a reading? Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
.675 K ohms
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Did spark come back when disconnecting the boats harness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No spark after disconnecting harness
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
This serial number comes up as having CDM igntiion, which looks like 3 squarish ignition coils. Is that what you have? I just want to make sure the engine is original.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it has the squarish coil one for each of the two cylinder
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Got it. Now look on the side of the engine. Do you see a small black box that has a black with a yellow stripe wire on it? What i'm looking to see is if you have a rev limiter or not. Some engines have them, some do not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No rev.limiter , only black / yellow is on each coil
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Next lets test the trigger. Disconnect the trigger wires and measure the resistance between the white and white/black wires. What do you get there for a reading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only other harness coming out from under the flywheel has three wire one is light brown or many (white) the other is dark brown one of the brown goes the the starter silinoid I tested between the other two and have 0 resistance
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Can you take a few pictures of your engine with the cover off from various angles. The problem is there are so many different variations on ignition systems on these engines. (there are 8 different ones). And sometimes on older motors that lots of people have worked on there are a "mish mash" of parts. I want to have a look at style of coils you have, and I want to look for a few other things. So if you can take a few pictures that would be great. Click this link below, this explains how to upload picture.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't find the link rate to finish
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I have not shown you the ratings box yet because the problem isn't fixed. Are you able to take a few pictures of the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have pictures and I have no where to send them when click the the reply to your expert it doent do any thing no icon or attachment please an address to view the pic.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If you can't send them then what you would do is email them to customer service and they can email them to me. What you want to do is email them to *****@******.*** and tell them the pictures are for Jason in boats, and they will get them to me.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The pictures finally came in. I only see 2, did you try to send more than 2? I was needing to see the back of the engine where the igntion coils were to see which style coils you had. Can you send another couple of pictures over of it, showing the coils in greater detail?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** disconnect one coil crank engine do you have spark? Then disconnect the other coil crank engine do you have spark? You will only have spark on one cylinder.Do you happen to have a DVA adapter for your meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you taking over for Jason
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Yes he opted out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've ordered a trigger it should be here Thursday at the owners request , I hope that it .keep in touch
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you...........Tan