Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My boat is overheating

Customer Question

my boat is overheating
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Does it overheat when idling for a long time or just when you power up to run on plane?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
idle with ears on have not put it in the water yet
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hm, you have a drain hole in the front bottom of the drive, when you run on the hose, always plug that hole. You can use anything you want, I use a piece of hose with a bolt in it with end of the hose grounded round.With the hose and flush attachment in place, drain hole plugged, and the water turned on, I rev the engine when it starts so it will pull the water up.If these pumps run dry for too long they will burn the impeller.Plug the drain hole and try revving the engine when it starts, if it doesn't pump water, check the impeller.Could burn up even if new, if it doesn't get water soon enough.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
There is also an o-ring on the water tube between the center of the leg and the lower unit, if it leaks, it will overheat only when the drive is half-way out of the water. In other words, only when under way.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Or on the hose!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the drain hole I`ll try tomorrow thx
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, tomorrow, cheers.