Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1990 70 hp Johnson outboard. Electric primer would continue

Customer Question

1990 70 hp Johnson outboard. Electric primer would continue priming and flooding engine. unhooked primer wire. Used manual primer to prime and then shut primer off. Engine ran fine. Installed a new primer, it did fine 6 or 7 starts and runs then it started fine but flooded out when running.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Do this as a test. Pinch off the fuel line between the primer and the engine. Start it up. Will it still flood?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unable to do, Not enough line. Also I;'m not outside with the boat now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When using the manual lever to prime then shutting off, it will start.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Maybe the new manual primer is bad. That is why I would test it the way I described. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It makes sense but I can;'t pinch the line it;'s too short.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not give phone #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The phone service is an extra service available at an extra free. Did you prefer the phone service or did you want to stay online?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I prefer on line. The phone offering was your idea.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It's actually automatic, there is a pop up with a price attached to it and you either accept the offer (and fee) or not. There should be enough room on that fuel line to pinch it off with a pair of hemotstats, or long reach pliers. Do you have any of those?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have those and I am not at the boat right now.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Sooo... What is it you are wanting to know? The website says ask a question get an answer. You haven't asked anything of me yet so I don't know what it is you want to know, or how I can help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which of the 3 lines would need to be pinch?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The output line of the fuel primer. This runs between the primer and the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do not call, I will not pay $18. I thought that was instead of $26. I squeezed it shut.wouln;'t start and now battery dead.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are we still talking?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
No worries, i won't call. If it won't start now that you've sqeezed it that confirms the primer is bad. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can pimers be rebuilt or do they need replacing?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
They can be rebuilt as long as the housing is not cracked. Click this link below, this is the repair kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evinrude-175158-Primer-Solenoid-Service-Maintenance-Valve-Kit-18-7044-/361119078357 I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. I noticed no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?