Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

1984 Mercruiser MCM*****Power Tilt/Trim Issue.

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi, The burnt wires you are referring to are for the trim sending and trim limit sending units. If the problem is the the drive won't raise or lower then chances are that the sending units and or wire have shorted out and are interfering with the tilt/trim pump function.First try removing these wires from the solenoids on the pump bracket. then try running the drive up and down... if it still is not working and you can both the up and down solenoids clicking then it is probably the trim/tilt motor. there is a 30amp fuse near the pump also but if it was blown you should hear no clicking.Try this and get back to me with your findings and we'll take it from there. Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike,
Sorry, thunderstorm came thru couldn't get out to work on it. I should have mentioned earlier that the fuse was good. When I say these wires are burnt up, I mean they are more or less gone sometimes 15"-18" just vaporized and I am only guessing where they came from and where they go to. I am assuming that there are two negative wires that go to the ground bus from the sensors and that the other two go to the pump motor and are what plug into the male/female connectors on the blue/white and the purple/white and they are disconnected. Can hear the solenoids click but no tilt/trim operation.Bruce
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Bruce, thanks for the good info, as for the wires you are talking about, those are definitely the trim/tilt sending wires and they most likely corroded away (not burnt from heat) this is very common. If you don't mind operating your trim/tilt without the assist of a gauge or a limiter then you can snip the wires out of the system and run it without them. As for the pump not working.... If your up and down solenoids are both clicking then you probalby have a bad motor. You can buy just the motor from a dealer or online outfits like Boats.net. The last test you can try to know for sure that it is the motor is to jump 12v from the battery directly to the out side of each solenoid (the wire that goes from the solenoid to the pump). If it just arcs and smokes and doen't run then you know the motor ids bad.I hope this helps... Let me know if I can further assist you and I will be happy to help. Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Any progress with the diagnosis? Also, I can help you source a pump motor if you need one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got busy and couldn't work on the unit going to look at it this morning and I will be in touch if I need anything else.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Ok Bruce