Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1995 Yamaha

Customer Question
WRA700T. It started like...
I have a 1995 Yamaha WRA700T. It started like a new machine a month ago. I tired to start it yesterday and it would not start. It cranks fine. I used an inline spark tester to verify not spark when cranking.
I've read many posts, but Ineed some guidance to troubleshoot if it is lanyard switch, coil, CDI or stator coil
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 2 days by:
7/22/2015
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Hi and thank you for your question.Before we dig too deep into the ignition system, lets try two things.First, I would like you to get 2 brand new spark plugs and put them in the spark plug caps and lay them on the cylinder head and crank the engine over and look at the gap to see if you have spark. In line spark testers won't work if the spark plug itself has failed and is not firing under compression so we need to start with new spark plugs and look for spark.If you still don't have spark with new plugs, unplug the 2 wire connector going to the handle bars that has a black and a white wire in it.Again, with the new spark plugs in the plug caps and laying on the cylinder head, crank the engine over and check for spark.Let me know where you are at after those 2 tests and we can move forward from there.ThanksRSRBOB
Please understand the ski ran fine before I parked in the garage 1 month ago. It would typically start with 2-3 seconds of cranking with choke on. It has fresh fuel, new YAMAHA fuel filter. This thing ran like a champ!I connected a fresh spark plug to the plug cap and laid the spark plug on a cylinder head bolt -- cranked. no spark
Disconnected the connector with black/white wires (running out of handle bar) -- Cranked. No sparkMy other findings ( I was busy after I entered my question)
1. I did the Secondary circuit resistance test per CLYMER manual (page 52). No resistance at all (OPEN CIRCUIT)
2. I did a continuity test from the ignition coil input to spark plug leads --no continuity
3. I disconnected the CDI Orange wire from the ignition coil and measured the orange wire output when cranking. I got about 30-31 AC volts while cranking.If electricity is going into the ignition coil, and the continuity test shows no path from ignition coil entrance to ignition coil exit --is to fair to assess the ignition coil is bad?
I did the above spark plug tests with one plug on the cylinder head and the other in the motor. I'd like your assessment on my findings though.....
Sorry to be pushy... I need a follow-up response. Many thanks
Hello....I need your input please. I'm under the impression that follow-up dialog is allowed,. Please respond
Hi and thank you for the additional information. I apologize for the delay in responding.
First, I am curious what your meter was set on when you got no continuity through the secondary lead of the coil. Also, when you were checking the secondary side, what did you have your meter leads connected to?
On the primary side, what did you have your leads connected to?
Thanks
RSRBOB
PS, follow up dialog is definitely allowed and encouraged. Until you have resolved the issue, we can continue to converse.
Never mind....Your delay in getting back to me forced me to figure it out on my own. My ski is up and running.May I please have my money back? You should not get paid for this transaction.
Glad you got it resolved. I will request your refund for you.