Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have boat when th battery is connect the boat try to start. I

Customer Question

I have boat when th battery is connect the boat try to start.
I have replace solinod. Key switch. And neutral safety switch
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** the yellow/red wire from the solenoid on the starter does engine still crank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes with both wires disconnected
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yellow and white
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Which solenoid did you replace?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The one battery terminal al connect too.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
The solenoid on the starter? I have no idea which engine you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1982 351pcm ski natique
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The solinode is on the bak of the egine
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok is there a solenoid on the starter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok on the solenoid you replaced. You should have battery cable on one large terminal then on the other large terminal is the cable that goes down to the starter. Disconnect that cable does the starter still turn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did not crank with start disconnectd
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok the solenoid you replaced is getting voltage sending voltage to the starter. Here is a diagram of how the solenoid should be wired. Check your wiring. Are you getting voltage on A?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
What color are the wires on your solenoid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
White on the left and yellow on the right
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wire to the solinode are disconnected and it still is cranking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I connect the battery
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
The starter quits cranking when you disconnect the red cable going to the starter correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok that means you have just the battery cable connected to the solenoid and if you touch the starter cable to the solenoid it will crank. The start solenoid is shorted internally. Did you look at the diagram I posted? http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jacksparrow1956/21a6ef16-d245-4674-be5a-d45d942a23cc_Ford+start+circuit.png Is your solenoid wired this way. The white should be the ground.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New solinode
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Did you look at the diagram I posted? Is your solenoid wired this way? Ok let me ask you this. If you have battery connected to one post of the solenoid and you check for voltage on the other post do you have voltage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Trying that
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think the start us no good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is no good
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
How can the starter be the problem when you disconnect the battery going to the starter it quits. The starter is getting voltage from the solenoid. Again I will ask did you look at the diagram I posted is your solenoid wired this way?Are you getting voltage to the large terminal opposite the battery cable connection?Does your starter have a solenoid on the starter. If you can answer the questions I post this will be much easier.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is wired that way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe start has solinode on it
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok the way this system works is the solenoid has voltage to the one large terminal, then you apply voltage to the yellow wire which closes the solenoid sending voltage to the other large terminal cranking the engine. You should have no voltage on both large terminals. The only tome you have voltage to both terminals is when you turn the key to start engine. So right now with nothing connected to the solenoid but the battery cable and the starter cable the starter cranks. The solenoid is bad.It still doesn't matter as you are sending voltage to the solenoid on the starter engaging the starter.Does this make sense? Let me ask you this. How is the starter getting voltage if the solenoid is good? Have you never had a bad product out of the box?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I under stand
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Here is a start circuit with the primary solenoid C and the solenoid on the starter. What you have happening on C is the red purple is sending voltage to the yellow/red cranking the engine. The red/purple and yellow/red should only have voltage to both terminals when cranking the engine. You have constant voltage on the yellow/red going to the starter. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jacksparrow1956/2011-05-05_221927_start_circuit____i__o.jpg There are no other red wires on the same terminal as the starter cable correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry starter does not have solinode
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok the only thing that activates the starter is voltage coming from the solenoid. The solenoid is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will replace in a few and see that works
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Your starter has one wire so the only way it will engage is when voltage is applied to the wire.