Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1978 summerset w/ mercruiser 228 4 bbl. It idles fine.

Customer Question

I have a 1978 summerset w/ mercruiser 228 4 bbl. It idles fine. When it has a load it bogs down and wants to die. I can get it into wake speed and it will be ok and doesn't bog down anymore.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** read what you wrote.What are your questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is causing my problem
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Did you see my last reply?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says what are ur questions. My question is what is the problem and how do I fix it?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You need to take this in. This is something that can not be solved online. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow. That was a waste of money
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** a problem with either spark or fuel.Do you still have the point ignition system?
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like a carburetor problem but could be spark.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do have the old point ignition system. I just had the carb rebuilt too.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
I would do an ignition tune-up, new points/condenser, set timing.If your ignition system is up to par and it still bogs down, there is still something not right about the carburetor.Does it back-fire at all when you give it throttle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It doesn't back fire.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
So it's not leaning out, it's ether getting too much gas or you have a loss of power because of ignition.Do you get sooty exhaust or a sheen on the water?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Idk. Not that I'm aware of. Someone told me it's the timing.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
It could be timing or it could be the the mechanical advance under the breaker plate is sticky or worn out.Check the timing first, if the flyweights are sticking or too loose, the timing will jump around.If so, then remove the cap and rotor and the breaker plate and check the flyweights.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
If not, put in a new points/condenser and set the timing.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Use a dwell meter to set the points, it's the most accurate way, they should be 31 to 34 degrees dwell.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Have you used a dwell meter before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
If you can get your hands on one, it's fairly easy.There are two leads, one goes on engine ground, the other on the coil + terminal.You remove the spark plugs so the engine cranks easily.With the key on, and the engine cranking, the meter shows the dwell angle.You can actually set the dwell with the engine cranking if you loosen the screw holding down the pointsjust enough so you can adjust the points with a screwdriver but they don't move on their own.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
If the dwell angle is outside the range of 31 to 34 degrees, the farther out it is, the less power the engine will have.