Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have 2005 320 rinker with with 2 5.0 l mercruisers. one

Customer Question

Hi
I have 2005 320 rinker with with 2 5.0 l mercruisers. one engine when i put it in gear and throttle up over 1200rpm after 20-30 seconds a solid alarm sounds and it loose its power. back it off to 1000rpm and alarm goes off
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Have you checked the engine oil? When was the last time the cooling system was serviced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yesterday. This spring.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
What do the oil pressure and temp gauge numbers read when this happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About 40psi and 180
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Your going to have to take this one in and get scanned. It's not going to be something I can help you with online. Good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
efi
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Your going to have to take this one in, It can not be diagnosed online. Good luck!
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** you have the water pump serviced last? When the alarm goes off what is the temperature of the engine? If the tone is solid this is an over heat issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
spring. there appears to be lots of water flow. temperature on gauge is only saying 170-180
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have an IR temp gun? Can you feel around the engine and feel any hot spots? The only thing that will sound a constant alarm is oil pressure and water temp. This could be a bad sensor and the problem with these sensors is you can't just disconnect them to eliminate them as a problem. The sensor that goes bad on these engine are the oil pressure and water pressure more often the water pressure. Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
0w068041. sorry no temp gun
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have freshwater cooling?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you mean coolant? or is boat in fresh water
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Coolant? The serial number comes up as FWC (Fresh Water Cooled) as in a cooling system with coolant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes have coolant system
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked to see that the coolant level is up in the heat exchanger?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes coolant is full and coolant reserve is at right level
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok at this point we are going to need to have the engine scanned to find the fault causing the alarm. We have done all we can. These engines being computer controlled leaves with limited options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so what kind of scanner should be used
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Mercruiser software and the scanner can be Rhinda or Diacom. Here is a link to the scan tools. http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm