Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Got a 2000 model 90 hp merc. Changed impeller went to reassemble

Customer Question

Got a 2000 model 90 hp merc. Changed impeller went to reassemble and only have forward gear. Took back apart and turned shifter shaft on foot and can't find neutral or reverse. Any ideas? thanks Rod
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Do you know if you have the 3 jaw clutch of the 6 jaw clutch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Design 1 or 2
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/1997/1115412TN/GEAR%20HOUSING%20CHART%20%282.07%3A1-2.31%3A1%20GEAR%20RATIO%29/parts.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Design 2
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Great,
Is the lower unit on of off currently? You will need it off to correct this and then reinstall it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only one bolt holding it on will have it off in 5 min
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Alright after you get it down, use a pair of pliers to turn the shift shaft. You are feeling for the detentes on the cam. You may have to turn it 180* before you feel them. Once the prop spins freely, install the case with the throttle in Neutral as well. Check the prop as you install the case to make sure that it stays in N.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok this is where I was at in the first question. I can turn shaft at least 180 maybe more and it never goes into neutral
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Could you ever find reverse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No neutral or reverse. Worked fine before disassembly is it possible for shaft to turn past détente by 180?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Does the shaft get really hard to turn at about 180*. that means that you are close to getting the cam back in the proper place. Apply some slight force to the shift shaft and see if it will go. If it does not, turn it the other way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'll try that but I can't till tomorrow. I'll let u know
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
sounds good. I will be here.