Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 94 four winns with a 4.3 omc. It has been to 3 different

Customer Question

I have a 94 four winns with a 4.3 omc. It has been to 3 different shops in the last 3 years. That's not counting the tinkering I have done. Got it back this morning from the shop where it has spent the past 14 months. He said it was fixed. It wasn't. Runs perfect for about 10 minutes. Then you have to keep backing off the throttle bc it just keeps losing power, like it's not getting enough fuel or something. It idles and revs fine, we rode by a marina so we idled by. When we got past the marina, it didn't have enough power to plane off. Things done that I know of: cleaned tank, replaced distributor, coil, plugs, wires, fuel filter, changed oil, rebuilt carb. I don't know what all the guy that I just got it back from has done to it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** do one thing here to eliminate the possibility of the boat side fuel system causing the problem. Can you run the engine on a different fuel source? A gas can will work. Disconnect the fuel line from the engine plug the line. Now with a piece of fuel hose connect the fuel hose to the engine stick the other end of the fuel line in the gas can. Run the boat does it run better?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to go get some gas and try that.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have found this is the part of the boat that is neglected from testing. So lets eliminate that as a possible cause of the problem. The boat side fuel system can have many different things wrong that will cause this issue. Post back with findings.