How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask K. Kergan Your Own Question
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 1031
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
K. Kergan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 1987 Mercruiser 5.7L (2BBL) Alpha One. I started

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Mercruiser 5.7L (2BBL) Alpha One. I started it up today to take it out and noticed that it is squirting water out the back of the engine at the center up above the flywheel housing and what appears to be immediately below the intake manifold. The hole is a little larger than 1/4" and when I put a drill bit in it the bit goes in probably 2 1/2". There are three holes across at this level and they're all about the same except this one allows the drill bit to go in a little further, probably an extra 1/4" +/-. This is the very center hole. This hole appears to be the top center hole in the actual bellhousing. What I can't tell is whether the water would be coming from a busted gimble bellows or a pushed out freeze plug behind the flywheel, or some other source
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** tell you that it won't be coming from the bellows, if the bellows leaks, water comes in through a small hole in the transomassembly just above the shaft.Is there any water in the bilge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the water builds up fairly fast when it comes out. It squirts pretty good out that hole.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I keep trying to upload short video but wrong format and it won't let me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There should be a photo of the hole attached
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
When I asked if there is water in the bilge, I was wondering if the flywheel could be throwing up bilge water.
Apparently the water is coming from the flywheel housing.
The only place it can come from is one of the freeze plugs unless the block is cracked.
There is no other source there.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
There must be water coming out below as well?
Excellent picture, by the way.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
It's the flywheel throwing water that makes water come out that hole.
Behind the hole is just a solid part of the block and they never crack right there. A short distance below the hole is the open area for the flywheel.

Related Boat Questions