Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

1996 Johnson 90hp sleoc has spark comp an fule wont start it

Customer Question
pops that's all it does...
1996 Johnson 90hp sleoc has spark comp an fule wont start it pops that's all it does help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/18/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Sorry I can't call now, I would be glad to help you though. Let me know.
1996 Johnson 90hp sleoc has spark comp an fule wont start it pops that's all it does help17 July 2015 06:28
First thing I want you to do is to get a steering wheel puller. You may be able to borrow one from an auto parts store.Remove the large center nut on top of the flywheel. Next using the steering wheel puller, don't use an arm type that pulls on the edge, pull the flywheel. Check the flywheel key that it isn't sheared. It is a symptom of a sheared key that the engine just pops and doesn't start as the flywheel has turned and the timing is off.Try this first and post back what you find.Thanks
Don't have a big nut it a 96 ocean runner ois
OK, you have the screws.Still sounds like a timing issue. Can you do a spark test of all 4 cylinders? Set the spark tester to 7/16".See what you get.I'm off now back in the morning. Will look for your reply then.
Wood the ois sender pevent it from starting got spark cud it b skip 1 an try to fire another
Please try not to type in short hand it is hard to understand.Do you have fire to all 4 cylinders?The battery must be fully charged. Check for 112 volts on the yellow wire with the red stripe while cranking. It comes from the start solenoid to the power pack. It should only be there when cranking. You need a full 12 volts.Remove the sensor wheel, the small thin plastic wheel around the crankshaft under the flywheel. This gives crank position information to the power pack. Check for any breaks around the windows.You can clean the sensor eye with some rubbing alcohol on a q tip. The sensor has to be absolutely clean to operate.What do you get to these tests?
Still just pops but plugs don't look as wet as that shud be and if I go full in gear it try to start
Did you check the things I asked you to?
Yup
What did you find?Have you taken a sample of your fuel to check for water?Have you done a compression test?
Did what you zed still just pops but I don't think it's not gettin the rite amount of fule
Yes I did it's all good it's a new power head got 4hours on it
Pull the plastic air silencer off the front of the carbs. On the front of each carb is a brass drain plug. Remove each and let them drain into a paper towel, check for poor fuel, trash and water.Then squeeze the primer bulb slowly to see if each carb if filling with fuel and flush the lines. Then one by one put the drain plugs back in and fill the carbs with the primer bulb. See if the motor starts now.If there is any discoloration on the drain plugs or crud they will need to be rebuilt.
I did the carbs all good cud the fule pump prevent it from Startin the carbs go dry after trying to start got to pump primerball
Sum plugs are dry
An I cleaned all the parts every thing
The fuel pump would keep it from running after starting but would not keep it from starting.The engine would run normally for about 15 to 30 seconds.Instead of me asking you to do something and you telling me you already did it, fill me in on everything you did and what is going on.
I rely need you to call me
I rebuilt the carburetors clean the carburetors really good clean the throttle plates really good most of the plugs are dry if I squirt gas in it what do you think it'll start place the timing wheel I had it running for 5 or 6 hours and then it went dead on me in waterI'm running it off of plastic temp tag there's no water in it
is there a way to set the timing before the motor is running did you get it running
Your engine is difficult to set timing as it incorporates Quickstart which advances the timing. Normal timing also is difficult as bright sunlight interferes with the optical sensor.Does the engine start at all? Or does it just pop and backfire?Is there a problem with the timing wheel? Did you take it off and examine it for any missing parts or cracks?
I replace the timing wheel timing wheel was cracked which the motor was running off the crack timing week ,the carburetors were flooding out so I rebuilt the carburetors replace the timing wheel and it wouldn't start no more it just pops but if you floor it in gear it tries to start
OK do you have an inductive timing light?Connect the timing light to each cylinder one at a time.Try to run the engine and point the timing light at the timing wheel with the cover removed. The timing light should only indicate that cylinder on the timing wheel no other near the timing pointer, It won't be exact.The timing sensor is tested by a special tool, usually only a shop that specializes in J/E engines will have it.When you replaced the wheel are you sure you got it installed correctly? It is a 4 cylinder wheel and not a 6 cylinder wheel? A new wheel?Your linkages are correct?Were there any broken magnets under the flywheel? What did you use to remove the flywheel?I have to go out for a few minutes, will respond as soon as I get back so post away.
yeah its a4 cylinder wheel OEM everything I use is oem
I got it running only runs for a min or too shuts off no gas in carbs pump it back up square gas in CA rb it runs again the same vro top see gas coming out but it runs like cap is the pump bad can I fix it
O on the vro were it's leek in there a small plug I have a another one but missing the plug
You can get a rebuild kit for the fuel side of the VRO. You can't repair the oil side. You may get by with just the rebuild kit. If you can keep the engine running by pumping the primer bulb then the fuel pump is bad.
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic