Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Hey Charles, I have a 2009 Mercury 4 cycle 115 EFI. I have

Customer Question

Hey Charles, I have a 2009 Mercury 4 cycle 115 EFI. I have a problem with backfiring and now a miss. Last Sunday put the boat in the water, the engine started fine as normal then chocked and puked. There is a sound defuser type deal on the air intake that just feel apart. It was a little oily to the touch. I picked up a new part and installed it. It's no longer a foam mesh type material it's more like a metal screen material. My fear is that I somehow sucked up some of the foam material into the air intake. And that's causing backfiring and missing issue. Have you ever heard of this type of problem and is there a solution that we can do here rather than taking to the shop?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
I have seen a bunch of these that have come apart with out an issue in the engine. It just passes through and will burn in the combustion chamber.
How do your spark plugs look?
Any work been done on the fuel system at all?