Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I just repowered my 28 bertram with two reman 5.7's these are

Customer Question

i just repowered my 28 bertram with two reman 5.7's these are the older block 010 gm's (pre vortec).
i have new risers, manifolds, raw water pump, and all hoses are new.
the boat is fresh water cooled.
heat exchanger is the old one, but is good with no clogging on the raw water side.
my problem is the starboard side of the port motor runs much hotter at idle and overall temp goes up to 180-200 at idle but cools immediately when rpms rise
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** side will run warmer than the other side. What temp t-stat are you using? What temp is the engine showing on the temp gauge? Remove the hose going to the manifold check water flow. Now check water flow to the other riser. Is the water flow the same? Have you inspected the thermostat housing for blockage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have a 160 t stat.
New sending unit on gauge
Also used ir temp gun to verifyWill check others this afternoon
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
On the older motors you should be using the 143*F thermostats. They run to hot with the 160.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry.. They are 140...
Just looked at reciept
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok then you don't have enough cooling water or blockage. Have you done a water pump volume test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
raw water test or fresh water?
also fresh water pumps are brand new mercruiser (not rebuilds).i have not done any flow tests and don't know the procedure.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
We need to do a water volume test of the raw water pump. This test will tell us if we are getting the proper volume of water to keep engine cool. Follow this procedure. Post back with findings.