Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have VP ips 500 drives one pod is showing trace amounts

Customer Question

I have VP ips 500 drives one pod is showing trace amounts of water less than 1%.
Should I do anything other than change the seal and gear oil
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
That depends on if you plan on keeping the boat or not. Leaks don't get better with time, they get worse. The correct course of action would be to replace the propeller shaft seals, and inspect the shafts for gouging when it comes apart. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the concern is around the clutches , It has been suggested that they need to be replaced when exposed to water, it was also suggested that they can tolerate a small amount of water not sure who to believe
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The clutches can tolerate moderate amounts of water. Really the bigger items are all the roller bearings. Saltwater loves to pit steel, if the roller bearings are pitted then it will need new bearings. That is a big and specialty job as the whole unit has to be re-shimmed. The bearings would be inspected with the prop shafts come out. The clutches can handle more water than the bearings can. But if it is just the slightest bit milky then it's usually just a job of changing the propeller shaft seals. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating.
Thank you
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still waiting for a call(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Justanswer does offer phone service. It is an extra service provided at an extra fee (30$). As of right now you never paid for a phone service. Was that something you wanted, or did you prefer to stay online? Also, what sorts of additional questions did you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it 18 or 30 I clicked on the call now button for18? I have the same button on this page
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It's 30, I don't do calls for any less than 30. I don't actually work for just answer, and I'm not even a contractor. I'm just a website user like you are except that you ask questions, and I answer them. When you see 18 on the screen that is basically your "offer" to me, from there I can accept it or reject it. Personally I don't do calls for any less than 30. That being said, there isn't much more to this. I don't think there isn't anything I can't answer online for you. What other kinds of questions did you have on the unit?