Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Had professional mechanic install NEW Bendix in my 1995 Kawasaki

Customer Question

Had professional mechanic install NEW Bendix in my 1995 Kawasaki 900 zxi 2 years ago.
Only road once last year. I believe the bendix is stuck from sitting so long.
Is there any easy way to fix?
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Unfortunately, there is not an easy way to fix it. The most likely cause for it to be sticking is corrosion. Sometimes they can be cleaned up and made to work again, sometimes they need to be replaced. It all depends on how bad the condition is that it is in. The only way to determine that is to get a look at it. The front cover of the engine would need to be removed, and then the flywheel pulled to be able to remove the bendix from the cases. So it is not exactly an easy task. It requires a special tool to pull the fly wheel and it is not easy to get to the bolts that hold the front cover on, and the gas tank is usually in the way of the fly wheel puller so you either have to move the tank or pull the engine.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB