Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Does anyone have a wire diagram 1999 J50PLEEA (Johnson

Customer Question

Does anyone have a wire diagram for a 1999 J50PLEEA (Johnson 50)? Trying to figure out if the wires on the wire block are correct as I'm trying to diagnose a no spark issue. Engine is on the boat but wire harness is disconnected to eliminate the boat side.
. Engine has a brand new CDI Electronics Stator, Trigger (Timing Base), Power Pack and Ignition coil. Still have no spark. All tests on wires are within spec except dva voltage on both White to blue and white to green is both at 0.00v. Have already removed
rectifier.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
What kind of meter are you using on the timer base voltage test?Disconnect the black/yellow wire going to the pack and recheck.With the harness disconnected are you cranking the engine through the solenoid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm using a Actron Multimeter with dva adapter.Black/yellow wire disconnected - no change.Yes I'm jumping it at the solenoid with a starter button.Current results are as follows:Brn - Brn/Yellow: 736 Ohms (temp 90°)
Brn - Brn/Yellow: 406 Volts
WHT - Blu: 68 Ohms
WHT - Grn: 49 Ohms
WHT - Blu: 0.05 Volts
WHT - Grn: 0.08 Volts
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure about the charge coil voltage output? That's twice as high as it should be. Sorry for delay, computer problems in refreshing the page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked it twice and the second time it was around 380 volts.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
The 450 is more than I would suspect, usually about 250V+ but the 380 would be in line if measuring disconnected.The resistance is fine.Lets recheck the sensor coils, put the red meter lead to the terminal "E". Then check to "A", then "B" then "C"You should have depending on the meter and temperature 800 - 900 ohms. It varies greatly depending on the meter, I have no idea what your particular meter will show, but all three should have approximately the same resistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which is terminal E, A. B, and C? I don't have a manual for the engine
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Your sensor coil connector if you pull it apart and look at the ends there will be some very tiny letters. "E" is the center bottom row. You have 5 wires in that connector correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Neither end has letters marked. But does have the following wires: Brown. Orange, Orange/Black, Black/Yellow, Brown/Yellow.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
From the timer base the sensor coil how many wires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Three wires from the timer base. White, blue and green
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
OK your ignition uses the three wire timer base without Quickstart.Lets do this Put the black voltmeter to ground and then the red to each of the three wires, crank engine, should be no reading.Your timer base reading are correct. Originally you didn't have any voltage but you do now?Your stator charge coils are OK as well.If the stator and charge coils are OK then check the leads from the power pack to the coils, at least 150+ volts.