Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 2011 mercruiser 5.0 MPI and am getting 1 horn per

Customer Question

I have a 2011 mercruiser 5.0 MPI and am getting 1 horn per minute. My boat is a 21ft hurricane deck boat and it also has trouble getting up on plane with more than 5-6 people on board. Could these be related? From what I have read 1 beep per minute is not a critical fault. All fluid levels and gauges look good. I think it is limiting it to 90% power. Any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The 1 horn / min alarm as you correctly said is not crucial and can be caused by a variety of things such as defective sensors etc.. To be 100% sure of what this alarm is you would need to connect the engine to a diagnostic tool. Otherwise you will be working with a trial and error situation. As for the difficulty with planing, normally it is not due to this as this horn does not limit power. With those people on board you would need to balance the weight to the middle of the boat and put the drive and trim tabs all the way down to help plane, if this still does not help and you will be going out with those amount of people regularly you would need to get a smaller pitch propeller. If you need further assistance let me know. Noel