Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2006 Evinrude 90HP e-tec o/ motor tilt motor up and down work

Customer Question

2006 Evinrude 90HP e-tec o/b motor tilt motor up and down work with switch on motor, but only trim down on lever at console. What is wrong and how do I fix it. Motor starts right up and runs great. Just can't trim motor up.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** have either a bad trim switch or a broken wire in the handle. Do you know the make and model of the control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BRP. I ordered all controls & gauges with motor from Evinrude dealer
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok do you know the model is this top mount, side mount, concealed side mount, top mount with key switch? I need to know what control we are working on. I understand it is BRP but which one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Side mount with ignition switch on bottom....Just got an invitation to use "call me" with a cost of $18.00. Is that in addition to the $33.00?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Correct. Remove the center plug in the handle and remove the screw. Pull the handle off. Remove switch from the handle. Now follow the wires to where they plug into the harness. Then jump the red wire with each of the colored wires in the harness blue and green Does the trim work correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not hear from you for a few minutes after answering your question about the model and the $18 fee, and I got a pup-up message from another expert, and had to start all over again and re-entered billing. I do not want to be charged twice for the same question. I had assumed that Just Answer or you had passed me off to some other expert. I do not wish to go any further until someone clears up what this is costing me. I do not want to have to go back and forth later about what is owed. Second. The controls that I described to you (side-mount, with ignition key switch on the bottom) is mounted to the console with 3 long screws with grommets. the lever is attached to the unit with one large screw. There is no "center plug" so your instructions do not make sense to me. I will remove the controls from the console and the handle from the unit. If I can see the wires you refer to I will try jumping to see if the unit will work, and I will get back to you. If I do not see the wires, I will try to see if I can send you photos.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Well I am working on more than one person 6 different people you have to be patient till I can get to you. You will have to send a pic of the control. If you can access the wires coming out of the control handle the trouble shooting is easy. Does this look like your control? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/OBAccessories/2000/REMOTE%20CONTROLS/REMOTE%20CONTROL%20-%20SIDE%20MOUNT%20-%20KEY%20SWITCH%20%28SYSTEM%20CHECK%29/parts.html