Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

270 sundancer 1994 rain water collects in the forward hull

Customer Question

270 sundancer 1994 rain water collects in the forward hull does not drain to the bilge have to use shop vac
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** first thing that comes to mind is why are you getting water in the forward hull? You should haven't have any leaks. Then the next thing have you checked for a limber hole at the very bottom of the compartment where the compartment can drain to the low hull?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have looked for that hole an can not find one
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
I would fix the leak so you don't get water in that compartment. You shouldn't be getting water in that compartment. The other option is to drill a hole in the bottom of the locker so it will drain. Sometimes the hole will get covered up or they didn't put one in there at the factory.I would be concerned why it is getting water. Water leaks can lead to other issues.Do you have water stains in the cabin? Have you tried to determine where the leak is?Does it only fill up when it rains?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No stains and yes to the rain
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Can you get a friend with a water hose to get up top and spray the area see if you can locate the leak?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My main concern right now is getting the water to drain into the bilge then I will look for the leak
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
If you don't find a drain you will have to add one. Did you not see my explanation?"The other option is to drill a hole in the bottom of the locker so it will drain. Sometimes the hole will get covered up or they didn't put one in there at the factory." Did you poke around with a screwdriver? The hole could be blocked by fiberglass.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was scared to drill a hole but that may be the answer I will poke around with the screw driver first. Thanks for the help
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
When you go to drill the hole be sure to angle the same direction as the bottom of the boat. Back and parallel with the bottom of the boat. Post back if you need help with the leak. Thank you........Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you.
Thank you.........Tan