Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2006 Mercury Verado 175, Will not start: Replaced starter silenoid,

Customer Question

2006 Mercury Verado 175, Will not start: Replaced starter silenoid, starter relay, installed new 1000 starting amp batt, all I get is a clicking from solenoid. Will start if jump the starter.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Couple of questions back to you.
1. Can I get the serial number on the motor
2. Do you have a voltmeter, and more importantly, do you now how to take voltage measurements?
3. Are there any kind of battery switches between the engine and battery, or does the battery cable run straight to the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SN#1B258178, I have Volt meter, Yes I can take measurements
I have installed a on off switch to cut off power. This was done after the starting problems.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is your meter digital or analog?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** is digital
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ike. Start with this. Stick meter negative to battery negative, the actual post. Stick meter positive to where the ground cable connects at the engine. Have a helper turn the key to start. What does the meter read?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read
12 volts in the voltmeter!
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Are you making the measurement with the key held to start and the circuit energized?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes! but the motor don't starter just make a intermeeting starters!
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
reverse your meter leads, and try it again, does it still read 12V? Also, is there any change in voltage from when it is just sitting, and when you turn the key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
don't change everything!
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Remove the negative battery cable from both the battery and the engine. Sand down everything with 220 grit sandpaper unit the cable end and battery terminals are clean and shiney. Reattach them and retest. Is there any difference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ihave installed new cables pos & neg. along with new terminals.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have cleaned terninals @ motor also
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is your meter a good one or a cheap one? It should not have read 12V, not even close. So either your meter is cheap or you are not putting the leads in the correct spots.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason, It was a ground problem all is working well nowThanks
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I had a feeling it was a ground problem, that is why I was trying to have you measure the voltage drop across the ground wire. I'm glad to hear you found it.Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. I was just checking in because no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?