Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1997 sedoo gti owned since new a couple years ago

Customer Question

hi i have a 1997 sedoo gti owned since new a couple years ago when u put the key on the beep beep noise stoped now the key is giveing me problems will not even crank over
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
A battery is designed for specific applications, what I mean is that it can have a bad cell or be weak and not start one engine but start another, esp after it sits as a battery as it sits can actually slightly charge itself back. However even though you should have the battery load tested, it is most likely not the problem given it did start another engine. What I am saying is that, that is not a good test for the battery.
Next check the positive and neg/ground battery cables at both ends and then check start/stop and dess post as follows:
Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.
Safety Lanyard Switch Verification;
If 2 short beeps are not heard when installing the safety lanyard, disconnect the switch wires.
Safety lanyard removed;
connect the test probes to switch Black and Black/Yellow wires. It’s an open circuit, there should be no continuity.
Connect one test probe to the White/Gray wire and the other test probe to the switch terminal. Measure resistance, it should be “0” ohm. Connect one test probe to the Black wire and the other test probe to the switch ring. Measure resistance, it must be close to “0” ohm.
Safety lanyard on switch; connect the probes to switch Black and Black /Yellow wires. Measure resistance, it must be “0” ohm.
Timer Verification;
The timer is integrated into the MPEM. Always confirm that the fuses are in good condition. To confirm operation of timer, remove the safety lanyard from switch. After 5 seconds delay, depress start/stop button once. The timer should stay on for 33 seconds (for example, the gauge(s) will be activated) and than turn off.
Here is all the info on the DESS codes. It is possible that you are getting a mixed code.
DESS Codes/ Beeps
2 Short beeps …the engine is ready to start
1 Long beep …no communication to MPEM
8 Short beeps…defective MPEM
1 Continual beep…engine over heating
Advanced Self- Diagnostic Mode
By pushing the start/stop button 5 times, you’re putting the DESS in advanced diagnostics. When you have successfully done this, you'll hear 1 short, 1 long beep then, put on the lanyard cap. The engines should start if everything is ok.
2 Short beeps means MPEM can’t read the lanyard cap or it has bad magnet. It could be a bad wire connection at the Lanyard switch.
2 Long beeps means wrong lanyard or bad connection of DESS connection
3 beeps signal the wiring harness of the DESS switch are grounded, or a short circuit somewhere.
Next check the small start signal wire to the solenoid during cranking (small wire) for 12v while cranking, if not this comes from the switch and mpem and check above tests, if so then check solenoid output large cable if none then replace solenoid so long as power to it from battery. If all this is good and power out to the starter motor then check block and starter ground and connections, next check starter itself and replace if bad.
Also try turning engine by hand and make sure not locked up.
Check fuses on mpem and in electric box.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.