Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have low oil levels in my boat but normal pressure?? However

Customer Question

I have low oil levels in my boat but normal pressure?? However I noticed some oil in the bilge water when I ran it.. Could I have a oil leak?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** color is the oil? Do you have the remote oil filter mounted on the top of the engine? Could I get the make, model and serial number of the engine please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a Volvo penta I believe it is a 4.3gx. I am away from the boat right now
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok it is possible you have an oil leak but we need to verify the color of the oil in the bilge. Have you been adding allot of oil to the engine? Is there an unusual amount of oil in the bilge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The amount of oil seems very small in the bilge I just notice a little bit sheen on the water when the bilge empties
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not added any oil the the engine . Just noticed it today. Oil pressure was normal at ideal and when running
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok we are back to verifying the oil in the bilge is engine oil and not power steering or trim fluid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dipstick is showing little to no oil.. That is how I concluded it is engine oil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brown in color
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
How much. The only way to know if you have an oil leak is to look for oil dripping off the engine. These engine don't have leaks. The brown oil could be trim fluid or steering fluid.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
When was the last time you had the oil changed?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Has the engine ever been over heated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had the oil changed 30 hours ago.
We had a big oil leak oearlier this summer. The engine had to be removed and re installed to fix it..
However... this time the amount of oil I am seeing come out in the bilge water seems slight... but the oil level is very low..
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
You shouldn't be using oil. Now have you added oil? The oil in the bilge could be residue from the previous oil leak. I would top of the oil level and clean the bilge real good then watch both oil level and bilge. You could be chasing something that's doesn't exist so we need to verify that you actually are loosing oil. Did you get warranty with the previous repair that the leak was actually repaired. I would call them and tell them they didn't fix the leak.