Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have Volvo d-12 diesel marine that over heats 180 to 196

Customer Question

I have Volvo d-12 diesel marine that over heats 180 to 196 at idle speed only. When I speed back up it cools down. The temp at cruising speed is normal. Ive had two mechanics look at it and they cant find the issue. Ive replaced the impeller, new thermostat, and new anti freeze filter. I've cleaned heat exchanger, checked all hoses and strainers and don't know what else to try. Suggestions are appreciated.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What horsepower output is the engine? Is the hottest it's getting 196F? Is that according to a gauge or an IR temp gun?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It got to 201 one time and alarm sounded so I shut it down it is 215 horsepower no it gun my name is buddy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sorry it is 675 horsepower
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Buddy. What does the water pickup in the boat look like? Is it a typical through hull scupper fitting plumbed to a sea strainer and then into the seawater pumps intake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Has the strainer been checked, and the scupper pulled apart to see if there is growth in it? Checking the scupper would require hauling the boat. Do you know if that has been done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put scuba on and check the intake it look clean to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in fresh water
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still haven't heard from anyone else
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it has been over 24 hrs does any other mechanic have ideas