Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My Bayliner 185 won't turnover. It was fine 2 days ago and

Customer Question

My Bayliner 185 won't turnover. It was fine 2 days ago and now it won't turnover.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello.Did you try resetting the circuit breaker on the engine?Does the engine make an noise at all?Do the gauges come on? Could I get the engine serial number please? Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All electrical components work. There is a click coming from the engine when I turn the key. I do not have a volt meter. What should be the cranking power of my battery?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
The engine needs 9.5+ volts to crank correctly. Now here is a test you can do. Locate where the clicking sound is coming from this will be the solenoid above the starter. Jump the 2 large terminals together. What happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have nothing to jump them with.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok you are limiting me with what I can do to help you. Turn the key on what does the volt meter on the dash read? Now turn key to crank position what does the volt meter read?