Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

1996 merc 150efi #0g104495 has trouble starting. When I was

Customer Question

1996 merc 150efi #0g104495 has trouble starting. When I was at lake mead during the summer it had a lot of trouble starting. I seams that the warmer it is outside the harder it is to start. Last year I had the boat out on a lake where it was not warm it would not start. We had the certified merc guy come down and he could not figure it out. Dropped it off at the shop and it started right up. Running right now but have had times where it had trouble starting and one time it acted like it was flooded.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One thing he had me do was turn up the idle screw. It seamed to start better but did not fix the problem entirely. The motor now idles around 1000 rpm.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Is the engine rather smokey when it does start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. The one time it did break down , I called the local merc dealer on the lake and he darn near tore the motor apart while I was still on the water, and that was right after it was in the shop. That time it had ran all day on Friday except when it had gotten hot outside then it had trouble starting. The next morning it would not start. When we got it to the shop it started right up for him.The merc tech always shows up for our weigh ins at the lake and I was talking with him to see if he had come up with any ideas and he had said they had another efi come in with similar problems and they replaced the fuel pump and that fixed the problem.. I just don't want to spend a grand on a maybe.My biggest problem starting is when I go to lake Mead and it's 115 outside it will just crank over and eventually start.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Is your local tech willing to work with you and hook up the computer to the engine. You need to watch the temp of the engine. Make sure that at key up it is not really high or low. If so, replace the port temp sender.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately the tech that had worked on my boat is over two hours away. I came across this site and figured I would give it a try. The tech had said replacing the fuel pump. Does that make any sense?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Test the fuel pressure coming from the VST. There is a port on it that you can screw a gauge onto. Running or at key up, the pressure needs to be over 34 PSI.